Wednesday, February 18, 2009

the seachild



yep...thats me! :0 
 while in houston we decided to drive down to galveston to what was left of the beach house that I grew up going to every summer.  We couldn't stay there this summer because it was pretty rundown so we stayed in another house in that same section. I ended up taking pictures of chloe at it since no one was staying there over the summer.  I know it isn't a very nice house...but I grew up staying in it EVERY summer!  I can still remember the sound of the sliding door waking me up each morning...I could barely wait to get out on the deck with everyone and have coffee (yes, I started drinking coffee when I was about 3!)  The house was on the front row and you could sit on that deck forever and just listen to the waves.  My grandmother would be in the kitchen making biscuits and gravy and my sister and I would wake up and stay in our swimsuits all day long! In the evenings  we would take walks down the beach and find treasures.  You'd take a bath and still end up with sand in your bed! I have so many memories of those summers with my family.  My heart sank when I saw all that was left after Ike. The Seachild has washed out to sea now but I'll always have those memories...and a few pictures!


me and lindsay on the deck



going for a treasure walk! yes...my sister found a hubcap...it is still a running joke in our family!

the Seachild this summer
chloe on the deck
chloe on the steps
all thats left



6 comments:

amy said...

oh my goodness- so sad! what great memories though- you and lindsey are tooooo cute! and look at that pretty mama and handsome daddy! growing up in Houston, i have lots of great Galveston memories too... I can't believe it's hardly there now!!

The Theaux Family said...

That is so sad that that is all that is left. At least you will always have your memories and some great pictures.

jrodges said...

What a great story this was... I think you should submit that to a local newspaper in the Houston/Galvonston area. It is sad that the news hasn't said much more after IKE... there are still many families and communities struggling.
Love Love Love the pics of Chloe at the Sea Child.

Christy said...

I know it has been a long time since I emailed about Chloe's tutu's. But, I am wondering if you still have any available. If so, what colors? Thanks!

Kendall, Angie, Grayson, Jessie and Tazzy said...

i love your blog. you always have great stuff. this is a great story with wonderful memories. you are so lucky. i hope my kids have great memories to tell like this when they grow up! and i agree with Jrodges - write an article. you know the local papers down there would be all over it.

Unknown said...

I am painfully late to this blog entry, but I stayed in this beach house three summers in a row. We were scheduled to stay in the house next door to it the weekend of Ike. I am so saddened to see this picture though, we really, really enjoyed our stays in this house.